The pure history of Rioja wines
The origin of the Marqués de Murrieta winery goes hand in hand with the origin of Rioja wine, since in 1852 Don Luciano Murrieta made the first Rioja wines and was the first to export them outside Spain. Don Luciano, appointed Marquis by King Amadeo of Savoy for his work in Rioja, travelled to Bordeaux to learn winemaking techniques, which he brought back to Spain. He established the concept of the French château on the Ygay estate where he had the emblematic Ygay Castle built.
In 1983, Vicente D. Cebrián-Sagarriga, 10th Count of Creixell, took over the baton and updated the winery and continued the legacy of the Marqués de Murrieta. After his death, his son, Vicente D. Cebrián-Sagarriga, current Count of Creixell, together with his sister Cristina, took over the management of the winery, accompanied by a young and qualified team, and completely updated the Rioja winery. Over the years, the family of the Count of Creixell has become a perfect link in maintaining the balance between tradition and modernity, placing Marqués de Murrieta in the 21st century in a privileged position among the Rioja wines of the world.